Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Juggling


It was really nice to spend the weekend at home.  We got to see some friends and take care of a lot of errands.  I know it is not cool to say so, but – life in the suburbs is really easy.  It’s easy to find the stores you need, it is easy to park, it is easy to go to a restaurant.  There is more variety in the city and WAY more night life.  But the suburbs are a lot more convenient.

We are mostly settled into our apartment now.  It is starting to feel more homey and less generic.  We have brought a lot of things from home to spruce it up a bit.  We had a small rug stored in the basement and putting it in the living room under the coffee table made a surprising difference in how nice the place feels.  We have a number of things to put up on the walls but we haven’t done that yet.  But the place is starting to feel more like a home and less like a hotel room.

I am watching the sunrise over Boston right now and that is pretty stunning.  There are a lot of high clouds and as the sun comes up they are first red and then turning white as the sky turns blue.  I just saw an airplane take off and cross the red disc of the rising sun.  Pretty spectacular.  I have tried to take photos but my ‘point and shoot’ isn’t really up to the job – especially through the window.

I have a lot of balls to keep in the air right now – which is difficult while trying to live in two places at once.  There are several commitments I have made to town business which are coming due now: organizing the focus group for the library long range plan and helping the library foundation decide on a commercial database package.  In addition, I have two database customers who need time from me: the Discovery Museums and Household Goods Recycling.  FinCom is pretty light right now but that will ramp up as the year continues.  We are having some house remodeling done which can be difficult to manage when we aren’t living there.  And, of course, I need to keep up with my homework!  There is a fair amount of reading to prep for the class each week.  It’s quite interesting but much of it is brand new to me and that can make for a slower read.

Tonight Bill and I are going to a concert at BC.  I will meet him for dinner in the ‘Faculty Lounge’ and then we will go over to the concert.  I am looking forward to that. The venue is supposed to be really nice (one of the churches on campus) and the concert is by the faculty, I believe.  It’s really nice to be able to take advantage of that type of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment