Sunday, October 6, 2019

Primal Fear



Yesterday we went zip-lining. 

This is something I have been curious about for awhile and I have a friend (Wendy Gilmer) who is VERY similar to me.  She tried it recently and loved it so I thought it was time to face my fears and give it a go.  This is a big thing to do in Costa Rica so I thought this would be the right time and place.

I searched for an experience that was NOT the longest or most exciting zipline in Costa Rica (which most of them claim).  But it did have 10 stages (!!!), rapelling and a Tarzan swing.  Easy - according to the guides.  If you want to slow down, you just use your upper body strength to life your weight to act as a brake.  (WHAT - I HAVE NO UPPER BODY STRENGTH)

It's not crowded here so there were only three of us in our group. We took a shuttle to the start, climbed up the platform and saw the first leg.  The other woman went first. Then I watched Bill go.  Then it was my turn. 

There was only one way - forward - so I followed instructions and went.  Landed safely on the other side.  Three more stages - each a little easier then the last.  The launch is not a problem for me, the ride is not a problem for me.  Judging how fast to go, very hard. The landing on the platform on the other side - huge problem.

Then we came to a what can only be called a death trap:  a  canopy bridge suspended from ropes where the slats are plenty far enough apart to allow you to slip through and fall way too far to the ground.

Yes, we were in our harnesses which were attached to a safety line across the bridge. But primal fear does not respond to logic.

Bill is in the middle of the bridge - obviously not liking it either.  And it's my turn to go.  Every step causes the bridge to shake.  I feel myself panicking.  Focus, focus, focus.  One step at a time.  If you stop, you will never be able to start again.

I got across but it used every last ounce of 'umph' that I had.  And there were six more stages.  Don't think about it - think only about one at a time.

I got through this and I am glad that I did.  But I learned where my limit is. I will cross this off the bucket list and gladly watch from the bottom while other people do it. And  I will be much more sympathetic in the future to other people's irrational fears: spiders, swimming, heights, snakes.  Whatever your fear is, I've got your back...








  

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I find that repetition greatly improves your comfort level.

    ReplyDelete